SAVE THE DATE
The New Community Center and Affordable Housing Development
The New Booker T. Center will be a comprehensive community institution with two distinct components, residential and an expanded community center. The new Community Center will allow BTWCSC to provide academic and career services for youth and adults, outdoor and gym recreational space, mental health support programs for foster youth, and early childhood education, all in a state of the art facility. The residential component will provide new affordable housing for low income professionals and transitional age youth.In partnership The John Stewart Company will manage the residence.
The John Stewart Company began in 1978 with a commitment to providing high quality management for affordable housing in the Bay Area. Today, JSCo is a full-service housing management, development, and consulting organization employing over 1,000 people state-wide. JSCO is the largest private manager of supportive housing and “special needs” housing in California.
Booker T. Past, Present and Future
Former San Francisco mayor Willie Brown sits down with KQED’s Belva Davis to discuss the past, present and future of the Booker T. Washington Community Service Center.
Core Components of the Community Center Include
- Athletic Space: The gym will provide residents of the community, neighboring organizations, and schools with accessible exercise space, as well as a practice venue for sports teams.
- Community Garden: The community garden will increase the capacity of the organization to offer a gardening program for children and teens.
- Childcare: The childcare center will be operated by Chibi Chan Preschool. Click here for program details.
- Mind/Body Health Center: The Mind/Body Health Center will provide a life skills curriculum and case management, as well as peer health education and community health information.
- After-School and Teen Center: The After-School Center and the Teen Center will expand on BTWCSC’s current services and will offer academic services and enrichment programs.
- Media lab: This program will be executed in partnership with Youth Radio, an Oakland-based non-profit that engages young people (ages 14-24), the majority of whom are low-income and/or of color, in journalism, media technology, and
media production training.
- Computer and Career Lab: The computer and career lab will offer state-of-the-art technology equipment for educational and recreational use and provide a comprehensive career training program.
Core Components of the Housing Include
50 units of affordable housing. 24 units will be dedicated to transition age youth. Services for the transition age youth provided by First Place for Youth. First Place for Youth is considered a national model for providing permanent housing for high risk youth. The agency works to ensure that foster youth have the opportunity to experience a safe, supported transition from foster care. Through a housing, an employment and academic enrichment program, counseling, youth community center, collaboration with other community agencies, and community education, First Place helps youth to gain the skills they need to live independently and succeed on their own. Community gathering spaces such as a roof deck, community room and lounges. On site laundry.
Designed by the award winning architecture firm Brand and Allen, this innovative new building will be designed to the firm’s high standards. The existing building will be demolished, and the proposed project will be constructed within one structure divided into two distinct components: the Community Center and the Housing. The Community Center will be 2 stories and 40 feet high on the southern portion of the site, with the main entrance on Presidio Avenue. It will consist of approximately 9,000 square feet, and will include community center uses and a 7,500 square foot gymnasium. The ground floor will have a fitness program, locker room, after-school program, youth radio, and restrooms, and the gym will be on the 2nd floor.
The existing rear yard will be re-graded and landscaped to provide outdoor space for the Community Center, the Housing, and daycare uses. The Housing will be 5 stories along Presidio Avenue, stepping down in height along the southern side of the building, and located over a partial sub-grade parking garage. The parking will be shared by the Community Center and the Housing.
The Housing will consist of a mix of 48 studios and 2 2-bedroom manager units. The ground floor will contain property management offices, service provider offices and a community room. There will be a roof deck over the community center for use by the residents of the housing.
The new Booker T will cost $35,000,000. We still need to raise $2,000,000.
You can help!!!!
Please mail your check to payable “Booker T. Washington CSC”
Booker T. Washington CSC
800 Presidio Ave
San Francisco, CA 94115
Now more than ever, it is imperative that the Booker T. Washington Center provide essential care and services for the people of the Western Addition and neighboring communities.
Former Mayor of San Francisco
Booker T.Washington Community Service Center is a beacon of hope and a social service safety net for residents who mirror the diversity of the city.